Friday, June 13, 2008

Je manque

People have been talking about how much they want to go home. They miss their friends, they miss their family, and they want to be surrounded by a language familiar to them. I wish I could stay here. Maybe live in another town and get to know it, but I love being in France. I don't want to go home, I am just so grateful for the experience I have had living here.


I suppose there are a few things I do miss.
Je manque peanut butter. What I would do for a pb&j sandwich....
Je manque ma famille. I love being able to have a great phone plan to keep in touch with them, but it would be nice to be hugged.
Je manque mes chiens. There are so many dogs in France, which I love, but I can't bring them back to my residence and cuddle with them. I feel bad leaving Zeb for so long and I hope he remembers me when I get back.

Honestly, other than that, I'm good. So family, if you're feeling generous, bring over an economy-sized jar of peanut butter and the puppies and I'll be set. :)



A little culture lesson, readers. We have learned about how the French value a seperation between their public and their personal lives. They distinguish "friends" from "acquaintences", they dont' really care about their politicians personal lives (because they aren't there to set an example, they are there to run the country). One of the ways we are able to see this border put up is when the people close their shades. This is the shade in my room half-way closed. It can cover the whole window and seel out all light. By doing this at the end of the day, they are able to do what they want at home without being scrutinized. When I walk around in the evening, I see people closing their shades. I think it's interesting, especially since at home I'm nosy and like to look inside people's houses.

No comments: