Thursday, June 5, 2008

Les Plaisirs Simple

For the past two weeks I have been with the same group of people at all times. That can be rather discouraging when you just need some personal space. That's when I step back, evaluate the fact that I am in FRANCE, and smile. Sometimes the culture gap feels a little discouraging, but I found some lyrics to help me out here:
The open water chills me to my bones
But it's the only place that I feel alive.
- Thrice
Being in a country that doesn't speak my language can be like being in open water. You are constantly vulnerable. It's a bit intimidating. However, I love the culture and way of life so much that it is what makes me feel alive. It makes me happy. I haven't felt this good in so long.

When sometimes I miss home, or am feeling down, all I have to do is look around. Let me share some things with you:
Les enfants outside the musee. They sat in a circle by that bizaree piece of art playing duck duck goose. Have you ever heard a child speaking French? I find it intimidating, even more than asking an adult if they speak English (I loathe admiting a language defeat). Children though, man, I should have them teach me French.












Condom dispensers on the streets. Bienvenue a France!










Finding hidden doors and tiny waterfalls.


















Lavendar. Take in a whiff of that and you are sure to feel a bit more serene at the very least.











Les chiens. And damn well trained ones, at that.
To be continued . . .

1 comment:

Loup said...

You mean you don't have condom dispensers in the USA ? Wow. How do you do when you need them during the night and the drug store is closed ? (that kind of things happens doesnt it ?)